Slip And Fall Lawyer in Hilton Head, SC
Every year, thousands of people go to hospitals after suffering serious injuries in slip and fall accidents around the country. Slip, trip, and fall accidents can cause disabling injuries such as hip fractures, sprained wrists, and traumatic brain injuries. Serious falls can even be fatal. If you recently sustained a personal injury or a loved one died in a slip and fall accident, our dedicated Hilton Head slip and fall attorney at Burts Law, PLLC may be able to help you recover financially. A property owner and/or another party could owe you compensation for your damages. Contact our law firm today to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case with our experienced slip and fall lawyer.
Why Burts Law, PLLC?
At Burts Law, PLLC, our Hilton Head, South Carolina slip and fall lawyer handles personal injury and wrongful death cases for people in Hilton Head and throughout South Carolina. Since our founding, we have built a record for success, recovering damages for our clients. Our mission has been, and always will be, to meet the needs of our clients by striving for the best possible outcome in their case.
There are several reasons you may want to hire a qualified slip-and-fall lawyer:
- Understanding your rights: Slip and fall cases can be complex, and it can be difficult to understand your rights and options. Our Hilton Head slip and fall lawyer has knowledge and experience in this area of the law, and can help you understand your rights and the process for seeking compensation.
- Proving negligence: To be eligible for compensation in a slip and fall case, you must be able to prove that the property owner or another party was negligent. Our Hilton Head slip and fall lawyer can help you gather and present evidence to support your claim, including photographs of the scene, eyewitness statements, and medical records.
- Negotiating with insurance companies: Insurance companies often prioritize their own interests over those of the injured party, and they may try to offer you a settlement that is less than what you deserve. Our slip and fall lawyer can negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your losses.
- Representing your interests in court: If a settlement cannot be reached, your case may go to court. Our Hilton Head slip and fall lawyer can represent your interests in court and fight for the compensation you deserve.
- Protecting your rights: Slip and fall laws can be complex and confusing, and it’s important to have someone on your side who understands your rights and can protect them. Our slip and fall lawyer can ensure that your rights are protected throughout the process.
By hiring a Hilton Head slip and fall attorney, you can ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve after a slip and fall accident. If you have any questions or concerns, it’s important to seek the assistance of a qualified attorney as soon as possible.
What Is a Slip and Fall Accident?
A slip and fall accident is exactly what the name implies: it is when a person slips or trips on a hazard and falls, often suffering injuries. Within civil law, a slip and fall is a personal injury case in which someone is injured on another person’s property. It is a type of premises liability claim that aims to hold the property owner legally responsible for the fall. If you have grounds for a slip and fall accident claim in Hilton Head, South Carolina, the property owner or another party owes you financial compensation for your injury and losses. In general, a slip and fall accident claim is based on the fact that the property owner owed the victim a duty of care and breached this duty by negligently failing to keep the premises safe.
Under North Carolina law, property owners will only owe duties of care to certain types of visitors: invitees and licensees. Invitees and licensees are people with express or implied invitations to enter a property, such as customers at a business. If the victim was trespassing at the time of his or her accident, the property owner will usually not be liable for damages, as property owners do not owe any duties of care to trespassers. The simplest way to find out if you have grounds for a slip and fall accident claim is by consulting with a local slip and fall attorney inHilton Head .
Can I Afford To Hire A Hilton Head Slip And Fall Lawyer?
Yes. At Burts Law, PLLC, our Hilton Head slip and fall lawyer operates on a contingency fee basis. This means we collect our fees as a percentage of the settlement or judgment award won. You never have to pay for our services out of pocket. If you don’t win your case, you won’t owe us anything for attorney’s fees!
Common Slip and Fall Injuries
A slip or trip and fall accident can cause serious injuries, especially to the elderly. Hip fractures from slip and fall accidents can lead to deadly health complications for a senior citizen. Anyone, at any age, could suffer severe hard- or soft-tissue injuries in a fall. At Burts Law, PLLC, our slip and fall accident attorney has experience helping clients with many different types of injuries:
- Broken bones
- Hip fractures
- Wrist fractures or sprains
- Knee injuries
- Muscle strains
- Cuts and scrapes
- Head injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Nerve damage
Our slip and fall lawyer knows how much a serious personal injury can impact the life of a victim. We are passionate about holding negligent property owners liable and helping victims obtain justice in the form of financial compensation. We will fight to recover the maximum compensation that covers the full extent of your injury-related medical bills, including future care for a permanent disability. We will also negotiate for the recovery of your emotional injuries, such as pain and suffering.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents in Hilton Head can happen in grocery stores, parking lots, at home, or at work. If you fall in the workplace, you may have grounds to file a claim against a property owner on top of receiving benefits from a workers’ compensation claim. The Hilton Head, South Carolina slips and fall lawyer at Burts Law, PLLC can review your specific case to identify the cause of your fall and the entity or entities that may be financially responsible for your losses.
- Spilled liquids
- Negligent cleaning schedules
- Greasy floors
- Freshly waxed or mopped floors
- Food debris
- Lack of warning signs on wet floors
- Dangerous floor surfaces
- Inadequate lighting
- Poor floor construction
- Electrical cords
Most slip and fall accidents are preventable. The owner of a property, home, or business must take reasonable measures to prevent and remedy potential causes of fall accidents. If an owner negligently fails in this regard and an invited guest suffers a fall due to dangerous conditions, the owner may be legally responsible for economic and non-economic damages.
How Do I Prove Negligence In A Slip And Fall?
Before you can recover compensation for a slip and fall accident, you or your attorney will have to prove the defendant’s fault. Fault in a slip and fall claim refers to a property owner or maintenance person failing to check a premise for hazards or ignoring a known defect. The burden of proof in a slip-and-fall claim rests with you, the injured victim.
It isn’t uncommon for property managers and their insurance companies to argue that fall victims are partially or completely at fault for slip and fall accidents. You or your Hilton Head slip and fall lawyer must establish the defendant’s negligence in causing or contributing to your accident. A slip and fall lawsuit, like all premises liability cases in North Carolina, requires proof that:
- The defendant was the owner or controller of the property at the time of the accident.
- The defendant knew or reasonably should have known of the dangerous condition.
- The defendant negligently failed to remedy or warn visitors of the dangerous condition.
- The dangerous condition caused the victim’s injuries.
- The victim suffered compensable losses.
Typically, the second element is the most difficult to prove. You or your lawyer must have evidence that the owner or possessor of the property created the dangerous condition, knew the condition existed or that the condition existed for long enough that a reasonable person would have discovered it. This could require evidence such as surveillance footage, photographs, previous accident reports, complaints from other visitors, cleaning or maintenance logs, and witness or expert testimony.
How Much Is A Slip and Fall Case Worth?
How much a slip and fall case is worth is directly related to the severity of the victim’s injuries and the extent of his or her losses. In general, slip and fall cases involving serious injuries will be worth a higher amount than minor injuries. You or a loved one could be eligible to recover the following damages, depending on the case:
- Medical expenses and disability costs
- Losses of income
- Past and future pain and suffering
- Emotional injuries
- Legal fees and out-of-pocket expenses
- Punitive damages
If you want to learn the value of your slip and fall claim in Hilton Head schedule a free consultation with our slip and fall attorney for more information. We will provide a thorough review of your claim to accurately estimate its worth. Then, if we accept you as a client, we can help you negotiate with an insurance company for maximum compensation.
Free Consultation with a Slip and Fall Lawyer in Hilton Head, North Carolina
At Burts Law, PLLC, we have extensive experience handling slip and fall cases. With the help of a qualified slip and fall attorney, you can ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you need to move forward. Call us today at (866) BURTS-LAW or (704) 751-0455 anytime and we will be glad to speak with you for a free slip and fall consultation.